Student Visas

The United States offers a warm welcome to foreign nationals pursuing their studies in educational institutions across our country. We understand that studying, working and travelling in the U.S. can have a positive impact on your career and offer you the chance to experience our culture first hand, but we also appreciate the impact our foreign students have on the United States itself, including your economic, academic and cultural contributions.

Some individuals who are in the U.S. under another visa program may be eligible to apply to change their status to that of a student. Whatever your current immigrant status, immigration attorney, Revathi R. Truong, would be honored to assist you in your educational pursuits in the United States. As the children of immigrants themselves, Revathi and legal assistant Ada Buenrostro hold foreign national students close to our hearts. You can expect knowledgeable, compassionate care when you contact our office.

Student visas fit under the following categories:

With an F-1 student visa, you may transfer between schools or switch to a new program if you follow the correct procedure. You may hold a part-time on-campus job during the academic year, and full-time off-campus employment is allowed during summer breaks. It is also possible for you to apply for Optional Practical Training, which grants employment for 12 months after your studies have been completed. 17-month extensions are available for students holding certain degrees.

Please keep in mind that F-1 status is not a “dual intent” visa; you may intend to be a student and intend to immigrate to the U.S. Therefore, if you have applied for a Green Card, it may affect your chances of obtaining an F-1 visa or an extension to your F-1.

Contact our office today and we will help you understand your rights as a student visa-holder, as well as assist you in applying for a change of immigration status or visa extension.

M-1 Visas are short-term student visas that allow foreign national students to attend an accredited vocational or non-academic school on a full-time basis. Full time is considered to be 18 hours or more of study per week. Examples of such training might include dental assistant, medical lab technician, machinist or plumber. M-1 visas are typically granted for the duration of the course, and for a maximum of 1 year, although students may apply for extensions. Don’t hesitate to contact our office today for more information or for help in status changes or to apply for and extension on your M-1 visa.

The J-1 Visa is for foreign nationals who wish to share knowledge and skills in education, arts or science with U.S. citizens through one of over 1500 exchange visitor programs. These programs include such options as trainees seeking on-the-job training, college and secondary students, teachers, professors, researchers, specialists, foreign physicians and medical trainees, international and government visitors, au pairs and more. How long you can stay in the U.S. with your J-1 Visa depends on the program you are participating in.

In some J-1 programs, you may be required to return to your own country for 2 years before you can apply to change your status or apply for a Green Card. Contact our office today and we will advise you as to the limitations of your visa and offer assistance in applying for extensions or status changes. We may also be able to help you apply for a waiver on the 2-year home residency requirement.

Your dream. Our purpose.

Whether you are visiting the United States for business, pleasure or for medical reasons, Revathi R. Truong, immigration attorney, can help you navigate the often-confusing rules surrounding your B-1 or B-2 visa. Revathi and her legal assistant, Ada Buenrostro, have a keen understanding of the visa process and are passionate about assisting foreign visitors who wish to extend their stays in the country. Ms. Buenrostro is fluent in Spanish, and helps with communication between our Spanish speaking clients and the firm.